Monday, June 9, 2008

yes!!!

Okay, I'm saving up money for this super awesome opportunity to go to New York, which is one of the three places in the world i want to see, and so far it is going great! I'm so excited! I've been babysitting everyday for the past two weeks except for three of the days. I made one hundred dollars in four days! The trip is being made possible by my awesome history teacher, Ms. Witt. Every year she tells about a trip she is being made possible, through Smithsonian Student Travel, a year in advanced so we can raise the money to go. This program teachers can use to take groups of kids to different places around the United States to learn about history. (The teacher gets to go free if he/she takes students.) When I found out I nearly started to cry. I have always wanted to travel and see different places, and New York was in my top three of places to see. I came home and calmly told my parents about it and told them they wouldn't have to pay a thing, that I would raise all the money myself. ($1,670, I had more then enough time to raise it.) I felt liek I was about to burst the whole time I was telling them about it, but I kept my cool. They both said I could go. That's when I begin to cry of joy and I thanked them over and over, and they told me I wouldn't have to pay for the whole thing, they would help me out any way they could. Then, as I was looking at the information Ms. Witt had given everyone, I saw that to even get signed up, you had to give some money down. My parents couldn't pay for it, and I definitely couldn't. I began to feel very upset. Then I realized all hope was not lost! My sister, Peggy, had been to New York and had always wanted to show me different places and things. I called her and told her my situation and told her that I would pay her back. She told me she'd talk it over with Jake, her husband, and they'd call me. I was so worried I was nearly in tears. She called me and told me they would and that I could work it off by cleaning their house, so thanks to Peggy for helping me out with my first step to my dreams of traveling. Thanks so much! I love you!
Anyway, I have know saved up $500, and at the rate that I'm raising money, I think I can by a lot of pretty souvenirs. :) Anyway, I'm looking forward to a great time in New York!

1 comment:

Peggy Sue said...

Hey sis,

You are so responsible and I think it is so grown-up that you NEVER asked mom & dad to pay for any of this trip. I respect that you want to EARN you way for things that you really want. Of course I gave you the money and agreed to have you work it off because I knew that you were responsible enough to do it. I love you and am so proud of you. You are going to have a great time in New York.